A Tadley man who died from a drug overdose did not intend to permanently “put the lights out” – a coroner has concluded.
Martin Chapman was discovered dead by friends at his home in Mount Pleasant on July 8 having taken a “cocktail” of drugs, an inquest at Basingstoke Coroner’s Court heard.
Levels of methadone, diazepam, codeine and amphetamine were all found in Mr Chapman’s system.
The 51-year-old suffered from depression and had been meeting with counsellors from the Southern Health team since being raped last year.
But North East Hampshire coroner Andrew Bradley gave a conclusion of death by misadventure last Wednesday.
Mr Bradley said: “In order to conclude a suicide has taken place, I have to be satisfied that someone intended to die.
“But I don’t believe Martin meant to put the lights out and never turn them back on again.”
Police Constable Ben Housley, who attended the scene, said: “I was called to the house and saw that Mr Chapman was lying on his back on his bed. There were no signs of a struggle, and nothing raising our concerns that would indicate foul play.”
Mr Bradley added: “Putting these drugs together is a deadly cocktail that many wouldn’t survive, but I’m confident he wouldn’t have known this.”